I saw a few recipes for variations on this on Pinterest when trying to find yummy vegan food to add to my repertoire but all of them contained at least one ingredient I did not want! This is therefore my version that I made up one Wednesday when trying to find a comforting winter warmer, that was good for the soul and the body!
1 large onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 thumb of ginger
2 red chillies finely chopped
4 Sweet Potatoes
200g Red Lentils
1 Can of Coconut Milk
1 tin of Tomatoes
1 tbsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Coriander
Juice of one lime
1. Chope the onion, garlic and chillies. Grate the ginger and chop the sweet potatoes into bite sized chunks.
2. Add some coconut oil to a thick bottomed pan and sautee the onions until soft, add the chillies, garlic, ginger and spices and cook out.
3. Add the tomatoes, sweet potato and coconut milk to the pan and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potato is starting to soften.
4. Add the lentils and some water and cook on low stirring periodically so the lentils do not sink to the bottom of the pan and stick. This is a good time to check for spicing/seasoning so give it a taste and see if it needs anything adding.
5. Serve with brown rice, cooked as per packet instructions and with a squirt of fresh lime juice. Enjoy!